Wednesday, 5 August 2026

113. Bhagavatha - Srikrishna Ends Sudarshana's Curse

 113. Srimad Bhagavatha - Srikrishna Ends Sudarshana's Curse 


The residents of Vraja undertook a scheduled pilgrimage to Ambika Vana (forest) on Masa Shivaratri day. Ambika Vana  is situated between Gokulam and Mathura. The temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and Ambika (Goddess Parvathi). A tributary of Saraswathi river flows adjacent to it. 


Nanda and his retinue performed the rituals as per the norms and donated cows, clothes, and sweet rice to Brahmanas.  They observed fasting and stayed that night in a nearby forest.


A few gopalas were guarding them with their firebands (oil torch), and a little later, they too fell asleep due to exhaustion.  


A hungry python (boa constrictor) crawled towards Nanda and started swallowing him. Nanda woke to realize that he was in danger and loudly called out “ Krishna, Krishna. Protect me. You are my saviour. “ 


Hearing the commotion, gopalas woke up and attacked the python with their oil torches, but the python did its job. 


Slowly, Srikrishna came near the serpent and touched it with His foot. The serpent vanished, and a demi-god appeared decked with heavy jewellery and folded hands. 


Srikrishna asked him who he was, from where he came, and the reason behind this serpent form.


The demi-god  said, “ I am Sudharshana, a Vidhyadhara. I was proud of my beauty and enormous wealth. Once, while  roaming around in my aerial car, I saw descendants of Sage Angirasa and mocked them for their external appearance - dirty attire, unkempt beard, and hairs.  I failed to recognize their internal strength.  


To teach a lesson, they cursed me to become an ugly serpent and crawl around.  Realizing my mistake, I sought pardon and asked when I would get released from the curse. They said Sriman Narayana would descend on earth in Dwaparyug and end my curse.


Having got rid of my curse with your sight and touch, I got rid of my sins, too. I do not seek anything from you. Please allow me to go back to my place.” Saying so he went around Srikrishna with folded hands and went away.


Everyone witnessing this event was astonished. Nanda was relieved of the danger. They returned back to Vraja, recalling the event again and again.


Source : Bhagavatha Mahapurana 




No comments:

Post a Comment